Wednesday Wisdom: 10 quotes from Fleabag that will stay with you
Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s comedy-drama series Fleabag captured the cynicism and confusion of youth like no other. The show is based on the life of a broken, vulnerable and witty 30-something woman living in London. The second season of the show got 11 Primetime Emmy Award nominations and won six, including Outstanding Comedy Series, and Outstanding Lead Actress and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series.
One thing that makes the series really unique is the truth bombs it dropped. So, this session of Wednesday Wisdom is all about Fleabag and its truth bombs:
- Why would you believe in something awful when you could believe in something wonderful?
- I have a horrible feeling I am a greedy, perverted, selfish, apathetic, cynical, depraved, morally bankrupt woman who can’t even call herself a feminist.
- Celibacy is a lot less complicated than romantic relationships.
- Don’t make me hate you. Loving you is painful enough.
- Women are born with pain built in. It’s our physical destiny. Period pains, sore b**bs, childbirth, you know. We carry it within ourselves throughout our lives. Men don’t. They have to seek it out.
- Just a girl with no friends and an empty heart? By your own description.
- Hair is everything. We wish it wasn’t, so we could actually think about something else occasionally, but it is.
- I’m not telling them what I want. I want to move back home. I want to hug my wife, protect my children, protect my daughter. I want to move on. I want to apologise, to everyone. Want to go to the theatre. I want to take clean cups out of the dishwasher and put them in the cupboard at home and the next morning, I want to watch my wife drink from them. And I want to make her feel good.
- I was taught if we’re born with love then life is about choosing the right place to put it. People talk about that a lot, feeling right, when it feels right it’s easy. But I’m not sure that’s true. It takes strength to know what’s right. And love isn’t something that weak people do.
- With all the love I have for her. I don’t know where to put it now.