Man sentenced to 21 months in prison for sharing Christchurch attack
A man who shared a Christchurch attack video on the social platform was sentenced to 21 months in prison by the New Zealand court.
Philip Arps, 44, owner of a Christchurch insulation company, which he has publicised using pro-Nazi and white supremacist imagery, was found guilty of two charges of distributing objectionable material.
At least 49 people were killed and several others injured after a gunman opened fire on worshipers at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.
In April, Arps admitted that he had sent the video, which had been modified to include graphic additions such as crosshairs and a body count to around 30 people, a day after the massacre.
In the 17-minute long video, the alleged attacker was seen shooting point-blank at the worshipers who had gathered at the Al-Noor mosque – the first of the two that were targeted – for Friday prayers.
Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll said, “Your offending glorifies and encourages the mass murder carried out under the pretext of religious and racial hatred”
The judge further said Arps had compared himself to Rudolf Hess, the fanatical deputy of Adolf Hitler and a key figure in the far-right pantheon.
Brenton Tarrant is a prime accused in the attack on the two mosques. He has been charged with 51 counts of murder, 40 of attempted murder and engaging in a terrorist act on March 15.