Warner, Bancroft to play in Darwin Strike League
“I’m really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July. I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month” – Warner
David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will make their return to competitive cricket during the Darwin Strike League in July.
Bancroft will be available for the entire competition, while Warner will play in two 50-over matches on July 21 and 22. The Northern Territory competition features both 50-over and T20 games, and is designed to give emerging local players experience against interstate and international talent.
Warner was suspended for 12 months for his role in the ball tampering saga, while Bancroft received nine months. They are not allowed to play international or Sheffield Shield cricket but can play in domestic competitions worldwide.
The former vice-captain will play at least three of Randwick Petersham’s opening four matches of the Sydney grade season next summer, while Bancroft will line-up for Willetton in Perth. It is believed Warner is also considering playing in the Global T20 Canada league starting next month in Toronto – the tournament which sees former captain Steve Smith make his competitive return to cricket after his role in the ball tampering fiasco.
“I’m really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July. I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month that I’m keen to be part of it,” Warner said in a statement on Tuesday (May 29).
“Their presence and experience will be invaluable for our local players, and it’s a big endorsement for the fantastic work being done by the staff at NT Cricket to make Darwin the winter destination of choice for Australian cricket,” NT Cricket chief executive Joel Morrison said. “The Strike League is a fantastic competition with a mix of local, interstate and overseas players participating, and is a great showcase of the excellent facilities and talent we have in the North.”