Karnataka election result: Four possible scenarios for government formation
- The BJP has not crossed the halfway mark in Karnataka
- If the saffron party does not get a clear majority on its own, these are the four likely scenarios that could play out in the event of a hung assembly
NEW DELHI: The BJP has come tantalising close to the halfway mark in Karnataka, however it is still a few seats short of an outright victory in the 224-seat assembly.
If the BJP does not get a clear majority on its own, these are the four likely scenarios that could play out in the event of a hung assembly:
1. The Congress has already accepted defeat in Karnataka following its poor show. Keen to keep the BJP out of power and further its own plan of stitching a grand alliance prior to 2019 Lok Sabha polls to thwart the saffron party, the Congress has officially offered support to the JD(S) to form the government in the state, which the latter has accepted. The JD(S)’s role thus shifts from kingmaker to king and H D Kumarawamy may become the chief minister.
2. With the BJP bagging the maximum seats, the JD(S) may offer support to the saffron party in return for key portfolios in the Centre and the state. The details of the power-sharing agreement will be subject to the bargaining strength JD(S) draws from its numbers. The party may also wrangle for the deputy CM’s post.
3. The BJP might agree to support JD(S) from outside keeping the 2019 Lok Sabha elections in mind as well as its resolve to have a Congress-mukt Bharat. Such a move will also dent the morale of Congress as it remains in power only in Punjab, Mizoram and Puducherry. In such a scenario, the JD(S) will get the chief minister’s post.
4. The fourth scenario sees the governor inviting the BJP which is the single-largest party in this election. The BJP could shore up its numbers by getting support from a splinter group of the JD(S).